Amputee Bill of Rights
You have the right to:
By: Amputee Coalition of America
- Receive clear, complete information about your surgery, medical care and therapy.
- Take part in decisions affecting your health and well-being.
- Be involved in developing your plan of care.
- Set goals for what you want to achieve.
- Set goals for your physical and emotional well-being.
- Set goals for preventing other health conditions that may result from your amputation, including further surgery.
- Receive support from a certified peer visitor.
- Be informed about funding for healthcare.
- Be informed about returning to work and opportunities for recreation.
- Be informed about prosthetic and orthotic services, healthcare products and new technology.
- Select qualified healthcare providers.
- Ask for help when you are unhappy with healthcare products or the care you receive.
You have the responsibility to:
- Stay informed about healthcare products and services.
- Learn about healthcare products and services that are appropriate, safe and effective for you.
- Express concerns about quality of care, billing practices, and healthcare products or services.