Add To Favorites In PHR
Major recycling center fire spews toxics into air
Portland Tribune - 12/18/2017
No other structures were damaged by Saturday afternoon fire at the Wesr Rock recycling center in Southeast Portland.
Southeast Portland residents with respiratory problems were urged to stay indoors because of Saturday afternoon fire at a recycling center.
According to Portland Fire & Rescue, the fire burned bails of plastic and other recyclable materials the West Rock recycling center. It also closed traffic in both directions on Southeast Foster Road between 104th and 99th for a couple of hours.
The fire was reported at 4:11 p.m. on Dec. 16.
A PF&R spokeswoman said that because of the burning plastic, the fumes are definitely toxic.
"That's definitely a carcinogen and concern," a PF&R spokeswoman says. "Anybody with issues should stay in doors."
KOIN 6 News is a news partner of the Portland Tribune. You can see their story at http://koin.com/2017/12/16/major-commercial-fire-closes-traffic-on-se-foster.